‘I don’t get how just talking, especially to a stranger is going to help me……’
These are my thoughts on talking to a counsellor……..
1. The counselling session is about you…… and what you have to say, you don’t have to share the space with anyone else such as family or friends.
2. Freedom to talk about what you want …..you can be completely honest about how you feel, you can’t upset the counsellor as they are not personally involved with you (although there is a confidentiality agreement they will discuss with you)
3. No advice or being told what to do……a qualified counsellor is trained with the skills to listen, understand, observe, make sense and reflect back.
4. Having the space to discuss something with someone who is non judgemental and cares about you helps relieve the emotional pressure caused by keeping those thoughts and feelings to yourself.
5. The counsellor will work with what you tell them……..the way you describe how you think and feel and help you look at any patterns and how you see the world. By doing this you start to get an understanding why things are the way they are, you gain clarity about why you behave how you do and you can start to realise your options to move forward.
6. As you understand your own struggles better and you uncover your strengths, you start to come up with your own answers and this can help you towards a healthier and happier life.
If you know someone who is struggling or trying to make up their mind up about counselling and you feel this blog could help, please feel free to share.